Skip to main content

Street Art 2015

So, I've been enjoying a very warm Spring here in Sydney with the exception of the past few days (and today)....I've had the most annoying cough, sore throat, and ..... lack of voice.  I'm so hoarse I can't speak above a whisper.
Okay, enough whining. (Honestly, if it's still a problem on Wednesday, I really will need to consult  a physician)
Missing voice aside, it didn't keep me from going to a art exhibit at aMBUSH Gallery at the Living Mall on Friday evening.  

In the exhibit this year there were 92 admissions from 21 countries.
Here are a few of the pieces that I really liked.
This is my favourite (and now my phone's new locked screen wallpaper!)



Others that I like (not in any order):






 The winners were from Poland and couldn't be present to receive the award, but they did submit a video.  They were "in disguise".  Here's a quick photo I snapped while it was playing.



 It must be a SERIOUS crime in Poland to "deface" public structures with spray paint.  While I don't really know much about "street art", I do know what I like when I see it.  Texture, subject, contrast, and color really capture my attention.
Okay, so the winning piece is pictured below:


The photo doesn't do it justice.  It really is a wonderful piece of work.  The base appears to be textured, reused wood.  It's a multi-media work with reused and thin rusted metal, and a motor plate.  And includes for what seems (to me) the typical dark and deathly theme of the skeleton.

I should read up on why pervasive themes in street art include the dark and deathly....I can only relate it to the theme of "softness" represented by the breezy landscapes and milky well fed and well covered ladies of the victorian impressionistic era.

There also seems to be quite the encouragement of street art here in Australia.  Last Summer (Oct-Nov 2014), I spent several weeks in Melbourne, where the city commissioned and actually encouraged street artists to decorate the alley ways along the CBD.  The artwork was and continues to be incredible (I'll have to dig up a couple of the photos I took).

And in early winter this year, I had the pleasure of walking through the "Street Art Walk" in Katoomba, NSW where an outdoor gallery is dedicated to ongoing 6 month exhibits and commissions for Street Art.

So, there you have it.  Everything I know and think about this art form. 

Cheers and have lovely day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Warm Little Sweetness

I must admit that I have become quite fond of making little bitty sweaters.   It all started on a recent trek to India traveling for business. I needed to carry just enough yarn to keep my busy bee hands occupied during the evenings in my hotel room. There are just so many hats a person can make, right?  Anyway, having limited quantities of yarn, I decided to give a small sweater a go.  This is the first one I created. I had just the perfect little buttons to add! (It really is amazing what one might find in their cosmetic bag) I love it.  This sweater is also featured on the Pinque Peacock blog   since I used her buttons.  (Go visit and see the buttons up close) This makes the sweater a really one of a kind project! This next one is perfect for a little preemie.  It's so tiny, but features a great big snowflake! Close up of the snowflake…. I also sewed on one of the StampinUp! Frosted Finishes Embellishments.  I think it finished it off nice

Ho Ho Ho - Let it Snow!

Hi!  Today I'm participating in a fun blog hop featuring projects and inspiration from two awesome companies, 3GirlJam and Pinque Peacock!  If you are already participating in the hop, then you came here after visiting Jessica.   Aren't her creations just lovely? However, if were unaware, then you'll want start at the beginning, over on the 3GirlJam blog.  Why, you ask?  Because there are some really nice prizes for those who participate!  Be sure to leave comments on all the participating blogs so that you'll be eligible to win.  You don't want to miss out on this one!   Prizes include a $15.00 gift certificate for the 3GJam blog and a $15.00 gift certificate to Pinque Peacock. The hop is open for comments until Sunday Dec 9. So if you don't have time to do it THIS SECOND, then you have some time to hop and take in all the creative goodness!  All weekend long. Winners will be announced on Wed Dec 12th.  Be sure to check the  3GirlJam   blog to see if

Halloween Scrapbooking Sheets

I created these this morning....just in time for making a few treats before the spooks come calling tomorrow night! Enjoy.